The magnificent Minnie Mouse gets her very own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!
Did you know this week’s Tiggerific Tuesday Disney Trivia about Mickey’s best gal-pal?
- Minnie Mouse was first drawn by Ub Iwerks in 1928.
- The comic strip story, “The Gleam,” first gave her full name as Minerva Mouse. In French translations, Minerva is her middle name.
- Minnie Mouse first appeared opposite Mickey Mouse when the pair debuted in Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928. Although this was the first of three shorts to release, it was the third film produced.
- Minnie was first voiced by Walt Disney, who also voiced Mickey Mouse.
- It is no doubt Mickey and Minnie are romantically involved. Although they’ve never officially wed onscreen, Walt Disney said in a 1933 interview with Film Pictorial that “in private life, Mickey is married to Minnie.”
- Minnie Mouse is an unofficial Disney princess. To me, she should be considered the first Disney princess!
- Minnie is the 6th Disney Character to receive a star on the Walk of Fame. She joins Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Winnie the Pooh, Tinker Bell, and Snow White.
The “official First Lady of the Walt Disney Company” got her star on the #WalkofFame! #DisneyTrivia
Check out the festivities from yesterday’s big event:
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce honored Disney’s Minnie Mouse today with an official star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Special guest speakers included Disney Chairman and CEO Robert A. Iger, and global pop icon and judge of ABC’s “American Idol,” Katy Perry. The star was dedicated in the category of Motion Pictures next to the El Capitan Theatre.
“Minnie Mouse has been a star and a fashion icon since she first burst onto the scene in the groundbreaking animated classic, Steamboat Willie,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. “The star of more than 70 movies during her illustrious career, Minnie has entertained millions of people around the world, touching hearts and bringing joy wherever she goes. We’re thrilled to see her cultural influence and many achievements recognized with her very own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.”
A veteran of more than 70 films, Minnie Mouse is one of Hollywood’s most recognized global stars, delighting kids and families for generations. Loved for her infectious, upbeat personality, Minnie’s iconic style has also made her a muse for fashion designers, artists and fans around the globe. Her classic polka dot look has been constantly reimagined by the fashion industry from her early pill-box flower hat, which influenced ladies’ hat trends, to her famous bow and ears.
“Minnie embodies iconic. Her style is the epitome of fun fashion,” said Katy Perry. “To this day, no one rocks a bow, the color red, or a polka dot quite like her. It is a special skill to bring joy to so many, and she does it with the effortless bat of an eyelash. I am delighted to be part of honoring Minnie and her magic with a star on the Walk of Fame.”
To celebrate Minnie’s milestone anniversary and National Polka Dot Day, a number of fashion collaborations are launching worldwide today, including a new special-edition Coach collection inspired by her iconic style. The 20-piece collection includes handbags, small leather goods, ready-to-wear and specialty items – all infusing signature Coach silhouettes reimagined with vintage-inspired Disney patches and Minnie Mouse’s favorite polka dots. Coach Creative Director, Stuart Vevers also designed a bespoke dress for Minnie, worn at a celebratory lunch immediately following the ceremony at Hollywood’s famed Chateau Marmont.
Additional collections from Disney Store and ShopDisney.com, New Balance, Torrid, Forever 21, New Era, Pandora, Macy’s, and more are now available.
©2018 Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, your Disney homeschool resource!
Think outside the textbook with this veteran homeschooling author & editor, and learn while you play!