Did you know this week’s Tiggerific Tuesday Disney Trivia about the Walt Disney World Monorail?
Check out these 5 fun facts about the monorail system at Walt Disney World Resort:
- Only 3 monorails were in operation on Opening Day of Walt Disney World Resort in 1971: Orange, Green, and Gold. (I would have chosen traditional Mickey colors of red, black, and “Mickey yellow,” if I were in charge of that, but I was only 4 days old, and no one asked me. LOL!)
- Approximately 50 million people use the Walt Disney World monorail each year, making it the busiest monorail system in the world.
- Each monorail train has 8 electric motors, driven by 113 horsepower and 600 volts of DC power.
- There are currently 15 miles of monorail track at Walt Disney World Resort.
- The track has not been expanded since the opening of Epcot in 1982. Rumors speculate expansion is cost-prohibitive at $1,000,000.00 per mile. That’s only partially true! Yes, the cost does indeed prohibit track expansion, but it would likely run closer to $50 million (cost of San Paolo, Brazil’s new monorail) – $150 million (cost of Las Vegas 2004 monorail) per mile to build!
5 Fun Facts about the Walt Disney World Monorail System at this week\’s #DisneyTrivia!
©2017 Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, your Disney homeschool resource!
Take the book with you and access the Schoolhouse anywhere you go!
You Can Get Free Gift Cards For Shopping, Searching and Discovering What’s Online at Swagbucks.com