Disneyland Resort will celebrate its 60th anniversary later this year. Here are some fascinating facts about this magical place:
- Disneyland Park opened July 17, 1955, with 18 major attractions. More than 60 adventures and attractions (and more coming soon) entertain Guests today.
- More than 500 million Guests have passed through the gates of Disneyland over the years, including dignitaries, celebrities and 7 United States presidents.
- Attractions, buildings, handrails, etc., are refreshed with more than 5,000 gallons of paint each year.
- Almost 20 million gallons of water fill the ten bodies of water in Disneyland.
- The buildings on Main Street, U.S.A, are illuminated by more than 100,000 light bulbs and outlined with 11,000 rim lights.
- Disneyland streets are steam-cleaned after closing each day.
- Disneyland Resort is landscaped with more than 800 species of plants from more than 40 nations and features approximately 17,000 trees and 100,000 shrubs. A 100-person horticulture staff maintains the greenery, planting about 1 million annuals each year and replacing the Mickey Mouse flower portrait at the Disneyland Main Entrance six times a year.
- Disneyland Resort recycles an estimated 4.1 million pounds of cardboard; 1.3 million pounds of green waste; 370,000 pounds of office paper; 361,260 pounds of glass bottles; 274,280 pounds of plastic bottles; and 17,240 pounds of aluminum cans.
- At Disneyland Park and Disney’s California Adventure combined, in one year Guests consume about 3 million hamburgers, 2 million hot dogs, 6.5 million orders of French fries, 1.6 million servings of popcorn, 3.2 million servings of ice cream, 1.9 million gallons of soft drinks and 2.8 million churros.
- Disneyland Resort inventories roughly 800,000 costume pieces for both Cast Members and Audio-Animatronic figures.
*The above statistics are courtesy DisneylandNews.
As you can imagine, the Disneyland Resort requires a sizeable work force to entertain, serve, maintain, and present the Happiest Place on Earth to all who enter its gates. Approximately 20,000 Cast Members call the place their office!
Do your kids dream of working for the Walt Disney Company? Do you wish to make their dreams come true? What does it take to become a Cast Member anyway?
Take some time to discuss career goals with your kids. Make sure they are taking classes that develop their interests and strengths. If they would truly like to pursue working for Disney, more information is available at Disney’s corporate website.
SCHOOL SUBJECT: Elective (Career Choices)
SKILL LEVEL: High School