Walt Disney World Resort celebrates the Yuletide season at Epcot with festive Holidays Around the World! Several times a day at the Fountain Stage, the gospel group Joyful fills Guests with Christmas spirit, and throughout the season Guest choirs perform spirited tunes.
The World Showcase Pavilions host an international Christmas experience. Stroll along and listen to storytellers’ lore and legends of this joyous season during Holidays Around the World and discover how children all over the globe celebrate this time of year.
- Father Christmas shares tales about two holiday traditions that began in the United Kingdom: decorating with boughs of holly and sending Christmas cards.
- Father Christmas also visits France, but here he is known as Père Noël. Sample one of his favorite French treats, the Buche de Noël, a dessert cake decorated to look like a Yule log.
- In Italy it is the good Christmas witch La Befana who delivers treats to bene i bambini as she recalls a time long ago when three wise men visited.
- Santa and Mrs. Claus meet and greet nice little boys and girls at the The American Adventure, and are eager to hear their wishlists.
- The matronly Helga excites listeners in the Germany pavilion with tales of the origin of the Tannenbaum, advent calendar, and nutrcracker traditions.
- Celebrations like Ramadan, Chinese New Year, Kwanzaa and Hanukkah are showcased around the promenade as well.
A beautiful holiday tradition takes place nightly at the America Gardens Theater, the Candlelight Processional. This renowned event retells the story of Christmas and features celebrity narrators, a mass choir and a 50-piece live orchestra. Olympic gymnast Laurie Hernandez opened the celebration on November 24, 2017. A star-studded lineup is scheduled throughout the month of December, which includes such personalities as Jodi Benson, Kurt Russell, and Trace Adkins, among others. (See below for tentative schedule.) Performances are included with Epcot admission; however, Guests are advised to arrive early to ensure a seat. Dinner packages are available and include reservations at select Epcot restaurants, a special spot for fireworks viewing and guaranteed seating for the performance.
Epcot Candlelight Processional Nov. 24-Dec. 30, 2017
Two new narrators join us this year for one of the most beloved and heart-warming holiday traditions at Walt Disney World Resort. Baseball Hall-of-Famer Cal Ripken, Jr., and long-time member of the Disney family Ming-Na Wen (voice of Mulan, currently starring in ABC-TV’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D”) take to the stage for Candlelight Processional. The annual event is a part of Epcot’s Holidays Around the World celebration, which features a celebrity narrator sharing the story of Christmas, joined by a 50-piece orchestra and mass choir.
Here’s the line-up of performers for 2017:
Laurie Hernandez – November 24 to 26, 2017
Matt Bomer – November 27 to 28, 2017
Ana Gasteyer – November 29 to 30, 2017
Whoopi Goldberg – December 1 to 3, 2017
Pat Sajak – December 4 to 5, 2017
Jodi Benson – December 6 to 8, 2017
Kurt Russell – December 9 to 11, 2017
Warwick Davis – December 12 to 14, 2017
Trace Adkins – December 15 to 17, 2017
Neil Patrick Harris – December 18 to 21, 2017
CCH Pounder – December 22 to 24, 2017
Jaci Velasquez – December 25 to 27, 2017
Chandra Wilson – December 28 to 30, 2017
The evening is capped with a special message of good will as the spectacular IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks, laser and water show lights up the sky. The thrilling display draws each evening to a close with a special musical finale set to the song “Let There Be Peace on Earth.”
Send and receive postcards from around the world through Postcrossing.com, The Postcard Crossing Project. It’s simple! If you send a postcard, you will receive at least one back from a random Postcrosser somewhere in the world.
The Postcrossing project was started by Paulo Magalhães from Portugal as a side project while he was a student. He enjoyed getting mail, postcards in particular, and developed the website in his spare time as an online support to this hobby. Friends helped develop and launch the program in 2005. The program grew and quickly gained media recognition. Since the project began, Paulo and friends have sent over 5 million postcards! The project has contributed to or participated in causes such as the Sichuan Earthquake (raising donations), LupusCrossing, museum exhibitions, school projects and more!
It’s a modern pen-pal program with a twist and it’s very simple! Here’s the short version of how it works:
- Request an address* from the website.
- Mail the postcard to the address.
- Wait to receive a postcard.
- Register the received postcard in the system.
Once your postcard is registered, you are eligible to send another one.
SCHOOL SUBJECT: Social Studies, Communications
SKILL LEVEL: All (Parental supervision required.)
©2017 Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, your Disney homeschool resource!
Love kids? Have a passion for teaching? Want to earn money from home? Join the VIPKid team and teach English to students in China! Learn more at VIPKid or click image below.