Continuing our focus on health and wellness this year, here are 5 easy ways to feel your best while visiting Walt Disney World Resort.
If you want to keep the magic in your visit to the Most Magical Place on Earth, aka Walt Disney World Resort, you’ll want to take care of your body. It’s the vehicle that will carry you through numerous adventures during your visit to the Vacation Kingdom, and you’ll need it to remain in tip-top shape, so you can make the most of every moment.
Here are 5 easy things you can do to feel your best while at Walt Disney World:
- ) DRINK WATER. Boy, I cannot stress this one enough! Whether you’re visiting during the hot summer months or enjoying cooler winter temperatures, your body needs proper hydration to get you through the day. Experts recommend drinking at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water every day. Purchase or redeem your Disney Dining Plan snack credits for bottle water, or bring in your own. Otherwise, water fountains can be found throughout the property, and–something many people don’t know–you can get FREE cups of ice water at any quick service location. So drink up!
- ) EAT WISELY. This one’s a little tougher, given the many, many dining options at the Resort. However, it is possible to make smart choices that are every bit as delicious as their not-so-healthy counterparts. It’s best to avoid sauces when you eat out, as they’re full of thickening agents, sugars, oils, and other additives you really don’t need. Whenever possible, opt for fresh vegetables and a lean protein. Of course, you may indulge on occasion. After all, you’re on vacation, but keep it limited and you’ll appreciate it even more.
- ) SNACK. It’s very important to keep your body fueled throughout the day. It’s been shown Guests walk an average of 8-10 miles a day at the Disney Parks. That’s probably a lot more movement than most people are used to getting! If you don’t keep your body fueled throughout the day, you’ll run out of steam, you’ll get tired, you’ll get headaches, your body will shut down, and you’ll get grumpy (and I don’t mean you’ll meet Snow White’s friend). Keep your metabolism churning with a mid-morning and a mid-afternoon snack. NO, not of Mickey Bars and Dole Whips! Again, treat yourself on occasion, but opt for fresh fruits and vegetables that you can find at kiosks and stands at every one of the Walt Disney World Parks. If you can’t find it, ask a Cast Member, or go to Starbucks, where they offer fruit and vegetable bowls in their refrigerated cases, or you can always bring your own in an insulated backpack.
- ) WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES. I can’t count the times I’ve seen women in stilettos at the Parks. Seriously! What are they thinking? As I mentioned above, you walk an average of 8-10 miles a day. Your feet…legs…back…every part of your body will scream at you if you try to cover that amount of ground in 6-inch spikes. Instead, choose comfortable, supportive shoes that are secure to your feet. You’ll avoid many aches and pains, and potentially a sprained ankle!
- ) REST. This has got to be the easiest bit of advice here, and probably the only option no one will argue (except for maybe your two-year-old who insists she isn’t tired). Take breaks throughout the day. Get that cup of FREE ice water and sit at a table in the shade. Ride the Walt Disney World Railroad around Magic Kingdom–twice. Catch a show. Take the monorail on a full circuit. Ride Ellen’s Universe of Energy at Epcot. (Arguably the best napping spot on property, lol!) Better yet, go back to your hotel room and lie down or take an afternoon swim. Get refreshed and you’ll be rejuvenated and ready to finish the day strong.
We hope these these tips help make your next visit to Walt Disney World Resort much more magical! Do you have any advice to add? Let us know in the comments below!
©2015 Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, your Disney homeschool resource!