Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad

Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World RailroadMagical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World RailroadMagical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad

MB Red logo Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad

Welcome to those of you joining me from THE DISNEY POINT and those of you just hopping aboard. I am the 2nd stop on our Magical Blogorail.

2008 10 12 16.37.06 e1401803791161 Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad

Photo via purchased Disney stock photo CD

In 1949, Walt and Lilly Disney moved their family to a new home in West Los Angeles. There in his own backyard, six years before he opened Disneyland Park, Walt Disney built his first thrill ride, the Carolwood Pacific Railroad, a 1/8 scale locomotive. Proof positive that Walt, like Peter Pan, never wanted to grow up!

2008 09 02 10.37.28 e1401803936225 Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad

Photo via purchased Disney stock photo CD

Walt had a life-long love of and deep-ceded connections to the Santa Fe Railroad, so it’s only fitting that he partnered with them to establish his very own line, the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad (now Disneyland Railroad), to encircle his Disneyland Park. Walt Disney World Resort has its own version, the Walt Disney World Railroad (WDWRR), which encircles Magic Kingdom Park. The depot greets Guests at the main gate and is one of the Park’s most recognizable landmarks.

The relaxing 20-minute ride takes passengers on a 1.5-mile scenic tour aboard an authentic steam-powered train. It’s the perfect way to preview the Park and see scenes you might otherwise miss.If you don’t want to make a complete circle, the WDWRR is a convenient way to get across the Park, with stops at Frontierland, Fantasyland and Main Street, U.S.A., scheduled to arrive at each station every 4 to 10 minutes at most times throughout the day.

2012 09 02 16.26.40 3 e1401804126544 Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad

The WDWRR consists of 4 meticulously restored, working narrow-gauge trains that were originally built between 1916 and 1928 and that had been in active service until the middle part of the last century. Each locomotive includes 4 sets of passenger cars. The engines are named as follows:

Walter E. Disney, named after Walt Disney
Lilly Belle, named after Walt’s wife, Lillian
Roy O. Disney, named after Walt’s brother
Roger E. Broggie, named after an original Imagineer who led the railroad project at Walt Disney World Resort

Today’s Takeaway:
What powers steam engines like the Disneyland Railroad locomotives? Heated water => steam. To demonstrate the power of steam, fill a kettle of water and heat to boiling. When the steam begins to whistle through the spout, hold a toy pinwheel in front of it. The power of the steam will move the pinwheel. [Note: Adult supervision is definitely recommended!]

Here’s how it works:

SCHOOL SUBJECT: Science
SKILL LEVEL: Middle Grades

Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is A DISNEY MOM’S THOUGHTS.

Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard:
1st Stop ~ The Disney Point
2nd Stop ~ Magical Mouse Schoolhouse
3rd Stop ~ A Disney Mom’s Thoughts
4th Stop ~ My Dreams of Disney
Final Stop ~ Home is Where the Mouse Is

Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad

51Cpf9nk6yL Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad

Tags: , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Magical Blogorail Red: Walt Disney World Railroad” Subscribe

1. Rosanne Mottola June 5, 2014 at 10:19 am #

I just LOVE the train. Riding a full loop is a tradition for us and I can’t help but think of Walt when I ride it. In terms of transportation options, are there times of the day that it makes more sense to ride?

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse June 5, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

I’ll have to look into that. I have never seen it have a terribly long wait at any time of day. I would just say to get on and take a full loop whenever those feet start screaming at you ;)

2. Becca_LoveOurDisney June 5, 2014 at 12:33 pm #

I love riding the Disneyland Railroad. In Disneyland, between Tomorrowland and Main Street USA, there is a “hidden land” that holds the Grand Canyon/Primeval World Diorama. Is there a hidden area like this on the Walt Disney World Railroad?

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse June 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

Cool! There is a hidden land, but it is like an Indian settlement showing their lifestyle, including teepees and wild animals.

3. Lisa Cameron June 5, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

For some reason, when my kids were babies and toddlers, every time we rode the train, my kids fell asleep. It’s so relaxing, I can kind of understand. It’s been a while since we rode it. Is there now a stop in New Fantasyland? Is it in the same place where the Toontown stop used to be?

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse June 9, 2014 at 6:26 pm #

So sorry! I replied to this before, but it didn’t post :( Yes, there is a stop in the New Fantasyland. It’s a bit further down the track in a beautiful, brand new station!

4. DIStherapy June 8, 2014 at 10:36 am #

Meticulously restored and maintained, these train cars are always sparkling and welcoming. I appreciate the steam engines, as they are so much cleaner than another fuel supply. As Lisa said, it was the perfect place to settle down restless babies and circle the park; again, and again, and again!

5. Heidi Strawser June 9, 2014 at 7:28 am #

I love the Walt Disney World Railroad. My goal is always to hop aboard and make a full circle around the park. But, sometimes the kids see things that sidetrack them and make them want to get off – like the time Ian spotted Woody and Jessie heading out to greet guests in Frontierland. We had to jump off the train and RUN to get in line! What is your favorite train station?

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse June 9, 2014 at 6:28 pm #

That’s so fun! We’ve done the same thing :) I love the Main Street, USA, station, because it looks out over the park and across at the Castle. What a glorious view!

6. JenniferLissak June 9, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Love the WDWRR – such a great attraction that’s also just an awesome historical throwback! Glad Walt needed a place to play with his trains or Disneyland might not be what we know it is. And as always, your takeaways are great!

7. Mickey June 12, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

I love the WDW Railroad Jodi! It’s one of my favorite relaxation methods at the parks! There’s a YouTube video of Walt playing with his trains — have you seen it? It’s such a masterful look into the child within the man. Thanks for sharing this week!

8. Capturing Magical Memories June 26, 2014 at 7:37 am #

I had no idea they were actually restored trains. That makes them even better.

9. Melissa - Disney on Wheels June 27, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

I love the trains at Walt Disney World! We try to take the Grand Circle Tour at least once every visit. It’s such a nice way to relax.

10. Beth Green July 4, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

This is a great review of the trains! I’ve never noticed the different names before. Do you have a favorite?