Epcot World Showcase: Mexico Pavilion

Epcot World Showcase: Mexico PavilionEpcot World Showcase: Mexico PavilionEpcot World Showcase: Mexico Pavilion
2011 09 06 06.09.54 Epcot World Showcase: Mexico Pavilion

Photo via purchased Disney PhotoPass CD

As we’ve seen so far, Epcot’s World Showcase is exactly what its name implies: international culture on exhibit. Imagineers were careful to select architectural features so specific to each locale that by sight alone Guests would recognize which country they were entering. In designing each Pavilion, to be as authentic as possible, design teams consulted historians and native groups, even foreign exchange students and ambassadors. And in the case of Morocco, the country’s king sent his very own craftsmen to help build the site.

The Mexico Pavilion is proof Imagineers did their homework. As we approach the Pavilion, noting everything from the structural appearance to the food and merchandise available along the walk, there’s no question as to which nation we are visiting.

mexico pavilion Epcot World Showcase: Mexico Pavilion

Photo used by permission from wdwnews.com

The pyramid is a replica of an Aztec Temple of Quetzalcoatl at Teotihuacan, Mexico. Altered by Mayan influence and displaying Toltec art, the building effectively captures three distinct cultures of ancient Mexico. Inside is the Plaza de los Amigos, a colonial plaza and marketplace where it is eternally twilight, the time of day when friends and family—relationships of prime importance in Mexican culture—gather to spend time together. A fine eatery with a view of a distant, smoking volcano sits along the river bank. The Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros boatride through the pyramid traverses the geography and history of this richly diverse culture with a humorous journey with Donald and his amigos.

Today’s Takeaway:
Visit Homeschool Creations for “Off We Go to Mexico ~ Unit Study & Lesson Plans.” Jolanthe has broken the study into a 4-day/week, 2-week-long unit, offering geography, cultural activities, language lessons, and more, geared toward elementary students. She also offers FREE downloadable pdf files for your convenience.

Mexico flag Epcot World Showcase: Mexico Pavilion

SCHOOL SUBJECT: Social Studies, Geography
SKILL LEVEL: Elementary

©2014 Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, your Disney homeschool resource!

Epcot World Showcase: Mexico Pavilion

51Cpf9nk6yL Epcot World Showcase: Mexico Pavilion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

61 Responses to “Epcot World Showcase: Mexico Pavilion” Subscribe

1. Dana March 21, 2013 at 6:35 am #

My favorite pavilion!!! I didn’t know 3 cultures were a part of the pyramid. So cool.

2. Chelsea Pulver March 21, 2013 at 10:27 am #

I loved the Mexico pavilion! Thanks for posting this info! I had no idea the pyramid was a replica of Aztecz Temple of Quetzalcoati! That is very neat!

3. Rochelle M. March 21, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

The marketplace sounds like fun!

4. Shannon T March 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

We are not big fans of world showcase, but we LOVED the Mexico pavilion!!!

5. Beth D. March 23, 2013 at 7:25 am #

We love the Mexico Pavilion! It is just fun to shop around, and my husband likes the tequila bar. :-) We also did the Agent P mission in Mexico, so my kids really paid close attention to all it had to offer (besides the “Donald ride” as they call it!).

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse March 25, 2013 at 7:32 am #

We haven’t made it all the way around with Agent P – couldn’t hear the messages very well, so kids got bored with it :( But we do love this pavilion!

• Beth D. March 25, 2013 at 8:34 am #

We had a hard time because three other families were in the pavilion doing the adventure too, so we couldn’t tell what we were activating, what they were, etc. Besides we were there around dinner time, so it was quite busy inside anyways. My kids “huddled” around the phone, but I am not sure they could hear everything either. :-)

6. Debbie March 24, 2013 at 11:19 pm #

Looks like a Neat place!!

7. Margaret Williams March 25, 2013 at 12:54 am #

For some reason we don’t spend much time at the Mexico Pavilion. We usually start at Canada and work our way around counter-clock wise.

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse March 25, 2013 at 7:29 am #

Ah, so you’re tired and ready to skip it by the time you get around to Mexico, huh? I know the feeling! Looks like you need to go the opposite direction next time ;)

8. Kelly A, March 25, 2013 at 5:28 am #

I am sad to say that we have never been in the Mexico Pavilion. I wasn’t even aware for the longest time that it had a ride. It’s definitely on our list this time!

9. Liz March 25, 2013 at 5:46 am #

The Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros is my son’s favorite at Epcot.

10. Khara March 25, 2013 at 5:54 am #

My favorite country to visit in the World Showcase! Thanks for the fun facts to share with the kiddos next time :)

11. Dawn Hopkins Panagos March 25, 2013 at 6:40 am #

We always go on the Gran Fiesta and have dinner at the San Angel Inn every trip…Love this pavilion!

12. Johnna Varty March 25, 2013 at 7:37 am #

I love the World Showcase. Where else can you visit so many countries in only one day? I especially like how Disney hires people from those countries to work there. It really is interesting to talk to them about their culture.

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse March 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Right! I know it’s very unlikely I’ll ever see many of those countries in real life, so I really like that I can globe trot without leaving the US! ;)

13. Wyndie Anglin March 25, 2013 at 8:17 am #

My kids love the Grand Fiesta tour!

14. T Willoretta March 25, 2013 at 9:01 am #

We just love the Mexico pavillion and all of World Showcase. When I was younger, I went on a walk around the showcase and stopped in every pavillion and bought a lapel pin (smaller then the pins they trade now – this was a while back) of the country’s flag. I still have them! When we took my son on his first trip, I printed a flag from each country and had him color it (he was 5 at the time). Each time we go to WDW, we end up spending more and more time at EPCOT.

15. Kristine Aubut Mertens March 25, 2013 at 9:51 am #

I can’t wait til our trip this summer. Will definitely be spending time in Epcot, including Mexico and all of the World Showcase!!

16. Teri March 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

Epcot is one of my favorite parks, so much to learn about. We love the beauty in Mexico’s pavilion. Thanks for this post!

17. Dana Russell Schroeder March 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

eventhough the ride in here is simple my daughter loved it!!! Nice to see more of Donald

18. Beth Green March 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Back in my former life, as a first grade teacher, my favorite unit to teach was Mexico! I loved looking at the lessons in Off We Go!! thanks! :)

19. Laurie Nykaza March 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

What an amazing trip to take I have yet to go there since we live by Disneyland we have not made it there yet. The replica of the Aztec Temple looks so fun. I hope to visit Epcot and see all of it this would be a great adventure for our family.

20. Jessica Phillips March 25, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

What a great lesson in the structure of the builings and what they replicate. My kids love this pavilian and especially the ride which we rode three times in a row last September. I can’t wait to use the week long unit to use before our next trip and spend some extra time in the pavilion. Last year our focus was on Japan.

21. Diane Cipriano Sabatini March 25, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

I went there about 23 years ago but with all this new info I think I need to go again.

22. jjzmgailey March 26, 2013 at 6:01 am #

This is my favorite pavilion in Epcot! My Gram took me to Tijuana once when I was about 8 years old and we shopped in the outdoor markets. This pavilion reminds me of that fun trip! I also love the evening atmosphere of dining at the San Angel Inn!

23. Kristin B March 26, 2013 at 10:24 am #

I’ve only been once (last summer), so I can’t remember the name of the place, but that little restaurant there is pretty yummy!

24. daowens58 March 26, 2013 at 11:13 am #

The restaurant at the Mexican Pavilion was my family’s favorite place to eat at Epcot! The atmosphere is amazing, & the food is great!

25. Allison March 27, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

I love the Mexican Pavilion for so many reasons. Like most of the pavilions I feel like I have visited another world. I get this feeling especially in Mexico because of the difference in temperature. I feel like it is a great place to relax in the parks.

26. Nichole March 28, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

One of my favorite places. I love the atmosphere inside the pyramid and how it makes you feel like you are in a Mexican village at night.

27. April March 29, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

I love the Mexican Pavillion! Love the Three Cabroas boat ride and the restuarant that is located inside!

28. jena b. March 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

I was just there last week love the boat ride and the resturant

29. Lisa Arledge March 31, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Mexico is one of my favorites!!! I love the darkness–and coolness on a hot summer day. I’ve never eaten there (picky husband), but one day I’d love to!

30. Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse March 25, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

Yes, it will! Don’t forget there’s a meet-n-greet with Donald Duck at the Mexico Pavilion too!

31. Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse March 26, 2013 at 7:53 am #

LOL! It’s a great place to chill, isn’t it?