***This article was originally published on March 5, 2014, as part of the Magical Blogorail Red loop. As it pertains to today’s St. Patrick’s Day festivities, I’m re-posting it, so you can know all the special holiday happenings at Walt Disney World Resort. Please be sure to click through the entire loop for lots of St. Patty’s Day fun!***
Disney knows how to kick any occasion up a great big notch. This year’s planned St. Patrick’s Day events at Walt Disney World’s Downtown Disney will be no exception!
The Mighty St. Patrick’s Festival opens tomorrow, March 7, and lasts through the holiday itself, March 17, 2014. Get your Irish groove on at a number of musical concerts, kick up your heels with clogging tutorials, delight your tastebuds with Irish food and beverage, and see if it’s easy being green with Kermit the Frog!
Music and Dance
Rock out to high-energy sets showcasing live musical performances (listed below) or take a step-by-step workshop on how to dance like the Irish. Shows occur 5:00 PM-1:00AM March 7 through 14, and then noon-1:00AM March 15 through 17, at Downtown Disney’s Raglan Road™ Irish Pub and Restaurant.
- Elevation – U2 tribute band—March 15 and 17, 2014.
- The Willis Clan – Tennessee family of performers merges their Irish roots with other popular music and dance genres—March 7 – 9 and 13 – 17, 2014.
- We Banjo 3 – Quartet that combines Irish sounds with old-time American and Bluegrass tunes—March 7 – 9 and March 15 – 17, 2014.
- Goitse – 5-piece band making a fast name for themselves among connoisseurs of old-fashioned Irish melodies—March 11 – 17, 2014.
- 3 Dollar Band – A unique blend of folk songs inspired by Irish and Appalachian influences, with just a dash of French and Bulgarian rhythm—March 14 – 17, 2014.
- Nova Celtic – Nova Celtic puts their own twist on a collection of popular songs—March 7 – 17, 2014.
- Creel – Lock your arms for sets from Raglan Road’s resident house band, with their near-endless repertoire of reels, songs, ballets and more—March 7 – 17, 2014.
- The Brayzen Heads – Duo who put their own spin on traditional Irish and modern music—March 7 – 17, 2014.
- The Raglan Rebels – Prepare to be blown away by the energy, excitement and incredible abilities of a popular Raglan Road house band—March 7 – 17, 2014.
- West Coast Trio – Trio hailing from Ireland’s West Coast, as accompanied by accordions, flutes, and whistles—March 7 – 17, 2014.
The Raglan Road Dancers troupe will be roaming about the Downtown Disney area in search of all-new audiences. Watch for one of their 15-minute pop-up performances. Irish Dance Workshops will be offered from March 15 to March 17, 2014, taught by Ronan McCormack and the Raglan Road Dancers at Raglan Road.
Look for the Superstar Catering Disney Food Truck, serving a St. Patrick’s Day cupcake and Fisherman’s Pie, a favorite from the Ireland kiosk at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. Raglan Road favorites are on the restaurant’s lunch and dinner menus, along with beers on tap. For a quick bite, stop by Cooke’s of Dublin for fish and chips, battered sausages, and deep-fried candy bars. Paradiso 37, Planet Hollywood, Bongos, T-Rex, Portobello, Fulton’s Crabhouse, Wolfgang Puck Café, and Forty Thirst Street restaurants will also feature special St. Patty’s fare too.
If you plan to attend the celebration ON the big day March 17, seating at Raglan Road is first-come, first-served basis with a cover charge of $10 for each guest age 18 and older. Reservations can be booked for other festival days by calling 407-938-0300 or by visiting Disneyworld.com/StPatricksDay.
Mighty Family Fun Zone and Shopping
Guests of all ages are invited to Mighty Family Fun Zone presented by Disney’s MUPPETS MOST WANTED, where you can capture the memory with a Muppets-themed backdrop photo opportunity, learn how to draw some of your favorite Muppets characters, and take part in games, giveaways, and DJ dance parties. Many other magical experiences, like roaming stilt walkers, living statues, face painters, and tattoo artists will be on-hand too.
Follow the shamrocks as they take you on an Irish history lesson—from the Cliffs of Moher and Blarney Castle to the Rock of Cashel. It’s a perfect opportunity to learn while you play and pick up some fun facts about several famous landmarks. Raglan Road’s Shop for Ireland will have a wide selection of St. Patrick’s Day merchandise available, including Raglan Road t-shirts, souvenirs, Celtic jewelry, and more.
Visit Adventures in Homeschooling to access a wonderful Ireland Unit study covering
Geography of Ireland
Animals of Ireland, including Irish setters and Connemara ponies
Famous places, including the location of the Blarney stone and the Giant’s Causeway
St. Patrick’s Day
Sports in Ireland
For an authentic Irish meal, create and serve the Glazed Loin of Bacon with Colcannon Mash (aka Kevin’s Heavenly Ham) dish from Raglan Road.
SCHOOL SUBJECT: Geography, history, language, physical activity, home economics
SKILL LEVEL: Elementary, Middle Grades
©2014 Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, your Disney homeschool resource!
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard:
1st Stop ~ Disney Donna Kay
2nd Stop ~ The Disney Point
3rd Stop ~ Magical Mouse Schoolhouse (You are here!)
4th Stop ~ My Dreams of Disney
Final Stop ~ Return to Disney
Add MAGICAL MOUSE SCHOOLHOUSE to your home library!