Disney’s Polynesian Resort

Disney’s Polynesian ResortDisney’s Polynesian ResortDisney’s Polynesian ResortDisney’s Polynesian ResortDisney’s Polynesian Resort
2011 07 29 02.04.07 1024x678 Disneys Polynesian Resort

From Hawai’i, drift southward across the Equator into the South Pacific and you’ll discover the tropical paradise of the Polynesian Islands. Palm trees sway in the warm breeze as waterfalls cascade down rocky slopes and tumble into crystal pools. Sunshine, sand, and surf replace weary travelers’ worries with hulas, fire pit feasts, and tantalizing tikis.

Only one thing is missing in this “real-world” paradise: the magic and adventure of Walt Disney World Resort!

Disney’s Polynesian Resort opened in 1971 with the Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary, and the Grand Floridian. One of the original deluxe Resort hotels, it is still a Guest favorite! It’s also one of the smaller properties with only 853 Guest rooms housed in 11 buildings, or longhouses, that represent various islands in the South Pacific.

polynesian resort gallery04 Disneys Polynesian Resort

Lush vegetation, white sandy beaches, and a volcanic pool provide relaxing ambiance to this facility. Guests can lounge in hammocks, jet ski in the marina, or catch the evening fireworks here where “Aloha!” is a way of life. Even getting around the World is stress-free, because the monorail stops directly at the Poly and the Transportation and Ticket Center is a short walk away.

Poly pool 1024x692 Disneys Polynesian Resort

Photo used by permission from wdwnews.com

‘Ohana, located on the second floor of the Great Ceremonial House, features a Character breakfast and a family-style Polynesian feast of skewered meats that are grilled over an open fire pit. For a complete Polynesian experience, though, book a reservation at The Spirit of Aloha Dinner. The family-style all-you-can-eat meal includes roasted chicken, barbeque ribs, rice, veggies, fresh pineapple, and a special volcano dessert. Dine while onstage women in grass skirts hula, fire dancers perform breath-taking feats, and Lilo and Stitch appear to complete the celebration.

Today’s Takeaway:
The eleven longhouses of Disney’s Polynesian Resort are named for various islands in the South Pacific: Tuvalu, Hawai’i, Tahiti, Figi, Samoa, Tokelau, Aotearoa, Tonga, Niue, Rarotonga, and Rapa Nui. (Although Hawai’i is really North of the Equator, it shares similar culture to the other islands in the region.)

Print off this map of the South Pacific islands and have your children locate the islands listed above (I could not find all of them.). (Click on the map to enlarge.)

oceania map 1024x685 Disneys Polynesian Resort

Then, research the following information about any three of your choice:

• Is the island an independent nation?
  • Is the island a territory of another nation? If so, which one?
  • What is the population of the island?
  • What is the native language?
  • What type of government exists on the island?
  • What is the major industry of the island?
  • Give a one or two paragraph history of the island.
  • Discuss the native culture.

Then, get a real taste for the islands with this traditional Hawiian dessert, Haupia! Recipe from Allrecipes.com.

haupi Disneys Polynesian Resort

You will need:

• 5 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 Cup white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Cups coconut milk

What to do:

Place the cornstarch, sugar, and salt into a saucepan; stir in 1/4 of the coconut milk to make a smooth paste. Stir in the remaining coconut milk, and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened so that it coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish; refrigerate until cold. Enjoy!

SCHOOL SUBJECT: Geography; Home Economics
SKILL LEVEL: Middle Grades

©2013 Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, your Disney homeschool resource!

Disneys Polynesian Resort

51Cpf9nk6yL Disneys Polynesian Resort

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “Disney’s Polynesian Resort” Subscribe

1. Jill Bomer DeTavernier November 4, 2013 at 7:06 am #

The Polynesian is by far our families’ most favorite resort!!

2. Lois Killion November 4, 2013 at 7:35 am #

Just wondering if breakfast or dinner is better. My daughter really likes Stitch, so I am leaning toward breakfast, but just wonder your opinion.

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse November 5, 2013 at 9:10 am #

Well, the Characters are there at breakfast, but the dinner has musical entertainment that involves the kids too. It’s a toss-up! It can be a great way to start the day–or to end the day. Personally, my family prefers dinner for the food and entertainment, and to go out to the beach afterward and watch the electric light boat parade and MK fireworks.

3. Kelly A November 4, 2013 at 7:40 am #

Your post makes me want to try out the Polynesian even more. We are debating changing from our usual Contemporary resort and trying out one of the other monorail resorts.

4. jan November 4, 2013 at 8:04 am #

We did a mother/ daughter one night at the Poly and loved it!!!

5. Chrissy November 4, 2013 at 9:06 am #

I have never stayed here, but it is on my Disney Bucket List!!! maybe for an adult only trip!

6. Jen-Kevin McCallister November 4, 2013 at 10:22 am #

My ultimate Disney dream is to spend a 10 day vacation at WDW and stay at the Polynesian!!!

7. Cat Cryan November 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Absolutely LOVE the Poly!!!! We are military so we stay across the street from it and walk to the monorail but I just love stopping and looking at the sites/sounds/smells of the Poly!

8. srm November 4, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

this resort is on my wdw wishlist. it looks beautiful and is just so tropical!

9. Julie Bigboy November 4, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

If I ever get to WDW, this is where I’d want to stay…the Polynesian!

10. Ashley Barnett November 5, 2013 at 1:04 am #

I’ve always wanted to stay at the Polynesian!! I think you’ve made my dream stronger!! Thanks for all the info!

11. Kimberly Searcy November 5, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

the poly is my favorite! i love going there and grabbing a dole whip and watching the water parade and the fireworks while sitting on the beach. I also had my first mickey waffle there! and dont even get me started on the tonga toast…

12. Angie Fitzpatrick November 6, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Love this place, going back for Thanksgiving in 21 days!!

13. Angie Fitzpatrick November 6, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Love this place, going back for Thanksgiving in 21 days!!

14. Angie Fitzpatrick November 6, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Love this place, going back for Thanksgiving in 21 days!!

15. Angie Fitzpatrick November 6, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Love this place, going back for Thanksgiving in 21 days!!

16. Angie Fitzpatrick November 6, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Love this place, going back for Thanksgiving in 21 days!!

17. Anna Williams November 6, 2013 at 10:06 am #

I love this resort. :) We always stay at the Contemporary, but try to visit this one every time. Such a neat place!

18. Anna Pry November 6, 2013 at 11:43 am #

looks like this would be a great place to stay for our family

19. Shannon Green November 6, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

I’ve always wanted to stay at the Poly. Hopefully one day we will be able to. We really enjoy having breakfast at Ohana and would love to stay close to the Magic Kingdom.

20. Amie Tucker November 8, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Oh how I would love to take my family here and stay fora few weeks. Disney is such a mmagical place for families and this resort would just push the experience into a real fantasy..

21. Heather Roark November 8, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

Someday My Husband and I will take the kids there! Great article!

22. David Pedraza November 8, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

The wife and I love the Poly, taking walks along the beach and being able to watch the MK fireworks from the beach, having the delicious and refreshing Dole Whips in the cafe, and have a scrumptious Character Breakfast with our favorite Disney friends at Ohana’s it’s just perfect… Aloha!

23. Kathryn Najarian November 11, 2013 at 11:29 pm #

This is such a cool blog! I love this entry on the Polynesian. I would absolutely love to stay there- too expensive for me though. That place is gorgeous!

• Jodi / MagicalMouseSchoolhouse November 12, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Thank you so much, Kathryn! The price is what has kept us from staying there too, but I’d like to splurge at least one time ;)

24. sybrina westmoreland November 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

so beautiful would love to see it in person thanks for the giveaways