Walt Disney Studios is turning INTO THE WOODS into a movie with an all-star cast that includes Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, Anna Kendrickand more! The movie just went into production (so no photos are available yet) and will open in theatres everywhere on December 25th, 2014.
Disney’s INTO THE WOODS is based on the Tony-winning original musical by James Lapine, who also wrote the screenplay and is produced by Rob Marshall—the talented filmmaker behind the Academy Award-winning “Chicago” and Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides”—John DeLuco, Marc Platt, and Callum McDougall. Legendary composer Stephen Sondheim provides the music and lyrics, including an all-new song for the big-screen adaptation. INTO THE WOODS is shooting in studio and on location throughout England and is slated for a 2014 holiday release.
For those unfamiliar with the story, INTO THE WOODS is a modern, humorous twist on the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales, intertwining the plots of such classics as Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel, and explores the consequences of the characters’ wishes and quests. The tales are all tied together by an original story involving a baker and his wife, their wish to begin a family, and their interaction with the witch who has put a curse on them.
The all-star ensemble cast includes:
- Meryl Streep (“The Iron Lady,” “The Devil Wears Prada,” “August: Osage County”) portrays the Witch who wishes to reverse a curse so that her beauty may be restored.
- Emily Blunt (“Looper,” “The Young Victoria,” “The Devil Wears Prada”) is the Baker’s Wife, a childless woman who longs to be a mother.
- James Corden (Broadway’s “One Man, Two Guvnors,” “The Three Musketeers,” “Gavin & Stacey”) plays the role of the Baker, a hard-working man who desperately wants to start a family.
- Anna Kendrick (“Pitch Perfect,” “Up in the Air”) fills the shoes of Cinderella, who finds herself on a journey of self-discovery.
- Chris Pine (“Star Trek Into Darkness,” “Jack Ryan”) portrays Cinderella’s Prince, charming and impossibly handsome, who is on an endless quest to find his bride.
- Johnny Depp (“Pirates of the Caribbean” films, “The Lone Ranger,” “Sweeney Todd”) steps in as the Wolf, who sets his sights on Little Red Riding Hood.
- Lilla Crawford (Broadway’s “Annie”) makes her feature-film debut as Little Red Riding Hood, a smart and spunky girl who journeys into the woods, finding unexpected adventures along the way.
- Daniel Huttlestone (“Les Misérables”) lands the role of Jack, an absentminded and adventurous boy who trades his treasured cow for five magic beans.
- Tracey Ullman joins the cast as Jack’s Mother, a poor and exasperated mom who is overwhelmed, yet fiercely protective of her son.
- Christine Baranski (“Mamma Mia!,” “Chicago” “The Good Wife”) takes on the infamous Stepmother who wishes for riches and grandeur; she’ll do anything to marry off one of her daughters to a prince.
- MacKenzie Mauzy (“Brother’s Keeper,” Broadway’s “Next to Normal”) plays Rapunzel, a sheltered young woman who experiences the world beyond her tower for the first time.
- Billy Magnussen (Broadway’s “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike,” “Boardwalk Empire,” “The East”) is the dashing and eager Prince who courts Rapunzel.
INTO THE WOODS premiered on Broadway on Nov. 5, 1987, at the Martin Beck Theatre. The production ran for 764 performances and won Tony Awards for best score, best book, and best actress in a musical. INTO THE WOODS has been produced around the world, including a 1988 U.S. tour, a 1990 West End production, Broadway and London revivals, in addition to a television production, DVD recording, and a 10-year-anniversary concert.
Add MAGICAL MOUSE SCHOOLHOUSE to your home library!