Welcome to the first stop aboard Magical Blogorail Yellow. Enjoy the ride as we share what we like to do when it’s raining at the Disney parks!
My family usually visits Walt Disney World in September, when Central Florida gets at least one pop-up rain shower per day and often a random hurricane or two (three one year we were there). Because it rains so often when we visit the Most Magical Place on Earth, we’ve come to embrace the break from the sun. So unless it’s just really dumping, or a big weather-maker is going to take hours to pass over, we usually make sure all cell phones and cameras are tucked away and keep right on going.
Here are some things you CAN still do at Disney in the rain without getting too wet:
- Ride an indoor attraction with an indoor queue (think it’s a small world).
- See an indoor show with an indoor queue (think Mickey’s Philharmagic).
- Eat or grab a snack.
- Shop! (That’s like my least favorite suggestion, lol!)
- Go to Art of Animation at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and learn to draw like an Imagineer.
- See a movie on Main Street, USA.
- Get a haircut at the Main Street, USA, barber shop.
- Go to Disney Quest at Downtown Disney.
- If it’s just a sprinkle and there’s not lightning in the area, swim—you’re already wet.
- If at Epcot, go into one of the Pavilions and chat with a Cast Member who’s native to that country. Ask them to teach you some phrases or words in their language.
If it’s raining too much to keep going, or a hurricane is pouring down, you can
- Ride and indoor attraction with an indoor queue.
- See an indoor show with an indoor queue.
- Eat a sit-down, table-service meal that will take awhile to consume.
- Shop! (Again, I just really hate doing this one, lol!)
- Go to Disney Quest at Downtown Disney
- Go back to your resort and take a nap till the storm passes. Head back to the parks for extra magic evening hours.
- Take the kids to the arcade at your resort.
- Check out the kids’ crafts and other activities offered at your resort. (Some have kids’ club-type activities; others have Wii or group games.)
- Ride the monorail around the Seven Seas Lagoon, stopping at each of the resorts on the line to explore them.
- Go through the Character Spot at Epcot. Depending on the crowd level, this can take quite some time! (Same with Enchanted Tales with Belle at MK.)
What do YOU do when it rains at Disney? Do you duck for cover or tough it out?
For our April 2013 Earn Your EARS assignment, we discussed the numerous lightning rods on Walt Disney World structures (you can see 3 on Epcot’s Japan torii gate below), and I discovered that Central Florida is the lightning capital of the United States! (As you can see from this NASA map.) I suppose that’s a “no-duh” point, given Florida’s geographical position. As it juts out into both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, it is susceptible to hurricanes, tropical storms, and a variety of potentially violent air mass collisions.
Visit Exploratorium for an electrifyingly fun project! In this experiment, you will store up an electric charge, and then make sparks.
For elementary and middle grades, perform the Styrofoam plate/wool/aluminum pie pan method.
For high school, perform the Leyden jar technique.
DO ALL EXPERIMENTS UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION AND FOLLOW PROPER SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS.
SCHOOL SUBJECT: Science
SKILL LEVEL: All
Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is THE DISKIDS.
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail Loop should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard:
1st Stop ~ Magical Mouse Schoolhouse (You are here!)
2nd Stop ~ The DisKids
3rd Stop ~ DISTherapy
4th Stop ~ Delightfully Disney
Be sure to join us August 2 for the next ride aboard Magical Blogorail Yellow!
©2013 Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, your Disney homeschool resource!
Magical Mouse Schoolhouse by Magical Mouse Schoolhouse is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com.
Every vacation is full of magical opportunities. Your 3D Travel Agent can unlock your vacation of all its potential magic before, during, and even after you go! Click the logo below to submit your FREE quote request today!
Dress your little prince or princess in the finest attire that's all MOM APPROVED! Some costumes now available in larger tween sizes!
Add MAGICAL MOUSE SCHOOLHOUSE to your home library!