Hiya, pals! I recently gave myself a Disney mani, and so many of you have requested pics and how-to’s of my Disney DIY: Minnie-Mickey Nail Art, I thought I’d write one up for you. Now, I am not a professional manicurist, and while I’m pretty creative, my art skills leave a lot to be desired. But that should encourage you, because if I can do my own nails this well, anyone can!
Alrighty, before you get started, go ahead and do any nail or cuticle trimming or filing that needs taken care of. Then, gather your supplies & sprinkle on the magic.
You will need:
Off-white, skin-toned (creamy) nail polish
White nail polish
Black nail polish
Red or pink nail polish
Pencil with eraser
What to do:
1) Paint a nice, even coat of skin-toned polish on all nails and let dry completely. Make sure it’s totally dry—not even a little tacky—before moving to Step 2.
2) Adhere nail guides to each finger nail just below the quick. I purchased mine inexpensively at Walmart. I’ve seen others use hole reinforcement stickers as guides. If neither are available, cut a curved edge to a sticky piece of Post-It Note or painters tape.
3) Paint tips red or pink. (I used a dark fuchsia OPI “It’s All Greek to Me.”)
4) Remove guides and allow nails to dry completely.
5) Pour a small amount of white polish and a small amount of black polish onto a piece of waxed paper.
6) Insert a straight pin into a pencil eraser. Dip the pinhead into white polish and place polka dots on the red/pink nail tips.
7) Clean off pinhead, then dip it in black polish to create 3-circle Mickey shapes on thumbs.
8) When polka dots & Mickeys are completely dry, apply clear topcoat, and voila! You’re ready to hit the Parks!
Optional variations include adding a bow instead of the 3-circle Mickey (I’m not good at making bows), and adding the highlights to each finger instead of just the thumb.
Add MAGICAL MOUSE SCHOOLHOUSE to your home library!