When the Christmas and holiday decorations go up at Walt Disney World Resort, the Vacation Kingdom transforms into a winter wonderland. No doubt this is a special time of year!
Across the Resort,
- 8.5 million holiday lights are strung
- 98 percent of that lighting is LED; 2 percent is compact florescent
- Of that, 10 miles of twinkling rope lights are in the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Each evening when the sun goes down, Cinderella and her friends dress in holiday garb and take the stage for the Castle Dream Lights ceremony at Magic Kingdom, setting the palace aglow with 200,000 white lights
- 1,500 trees are decorated
- One Christmas tree in Magic Kingdom has a base 26 feet wide
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort’s 70-foot-tall tree features nearly 35,800 white LED lights
- 300,000 yards of ribbon and bows drape Christmas trees
- 15 miles of garland are strung and 1,314 wreaths hung
- At Downtown Disney West Side, a wreath with a 25-foot diameter adorns the Cirque du Soleil building
- More than 800 performers take the stage each night during Epcot’s Candlelight Processional
- More than 200 Guest choirs perform during the entire run of Candlelight Processional
- 6 life-sized creations are cooked up by Walt Disney World pastry chefs, including one 16-foot-tall gingerbread house at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa baked with 1,050 pounds of honey and involving more than 160 hours of decorating and one life-size gingerbread carousel at Disney’s Beach Club Resort featuring ponies made of chocolate and fondant, giant candy cane poles, handcrafted poinsettias and hand-painted portraits of famous Disney characters
- 100 percent chance of snow flurries during Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party takes place on select holiday evenings in Magic Kingdom
- 365 days of the year that Guests can shop for holiday merchandise at the Disney’s Days of Christmas shop in Downtown Disney Marketplace
- Disney Cruise Line’s newest ship, the Fantasy, has 931 feet of garland, 66 sprays, 27 wreaths, 38 trees ranging from 2 feet to 20 feet and more than 17,000 individual LED lights — 11,000 of which adorn the 20 foot lobby tree, which has a variety of custom ornaments made from existing elements such as Peacocks and ornate crystal shapes.
*Figures courtesy Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World Resort Press Release and photos courtesy Disney Parks.
The halls of Walt Disney World are so decked that the decorations must be stored offsite the rest of the year. It requires 150 tractor-trailer truckloads to deliver them to 24 resorts, 4 theme parks, Downtown Disney, and other locations. Walt Disney World Resort is known as the Most Magical Place on Earth, but during the holidays, it may also be the Most Decorated Place on Earth!
Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Guests enjoy complimentary hot cocoa and cookies while snow gently flutters down on Main Street, U.S.A. My family also enjoys hot cocoa, warm spiced cider, and holiday flavored coffees and teas at home during the winter season, and we have discovered a cool craft—or a toasty warm one—at Disney’s Spoonful website (formerly Disney Family Fun). These Mickey Mouse & pals cup cozies will come in handy at our house AND will make great gifts for our Disney-loving friends! Make a few for your home, friends, and loved ones too!
You will need:
- Template for Mickey Mouse Cup Cozy
- Elastic cord
- Red and black felt
- 2 white buttons, 1 red button
- Hot glue (with adult supervision)
What to do:
- Print the template pieces and cut them out.
- Trace the templates onto the designated color felt and cut out the pieces.
- Cut a length of elastic cord about 4 inches long. Form a loop with the elastic and sew the ends to the top side of the black felt, on the left side.
- Hot glue the red felt on top of the black felt, hiding the elastic ends. There should be black felt showing above and below the red felt.
- Sew two white buttons on top of the red felt in the middle of the sleeve. The buttons should be about half an inch to one inch apart.
- Sew a red button on top of the red felt on the right end of the sleeve.
SCHOOL SUBJECT: Arts & Crafts, Christmas/holiday gift giving
SKILL LEVEL: All
Add MAGICAL MOUSE SCHOOLHOUSE to your home library!