Night skies burst with color over Disney’s Hollywood Studios when Mickey Mouse, aka the Sorcerer’s Apprentice, directs an orchestrated battle between good and evil. Lights, lasers, pyrotechnics, and water animation and choreography combine in a shimmering display of sights and sounds in Fantasmic! The 25-minute show utilizes over one million gallons of water and features 50 costumed performers.
Fantasmic! takes place each evening (except during inclement weather) in the Hollywood Hills amphitheater, a 1,500-seat outdoor theater reminiscent of the famed Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl, one of the largest natural amphitheatres in the world. Sorcerer Mickey invokes the characters and spirit of such favorite Disney classics as Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Aladdin, The Lion King, and many more. When the Evil Queen from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs gathers an entourage of such classic villains as Ursula, Cruella de Vil, Scar, and a larger-than-life Maleficent to turn Mickey’s dreams into a nightmare, Mickey’s imagination prevails to save the day.
Fantasmic! overflows with silly and suspenseful surprises and special effects that thrill the entire family.
If you’re a fan of the TV show Mythbusters, you’re probably familiar with today’s takeaway: Make a Coke and Mentos geyser.
You will need:
1 roll of Mentos candy
1 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke
1 5”x5” piece of paper
1 roll of Scotch tape
1 index card
A lot of OUTDOOR space!
What to do:
1) Set up your experiment outside, away from windows or anything that could be damaged or get sticky
2) Prepare and perform experiment UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION!
3) Set soda bottle securely on the ground.
4) Make a funnel from the piece of paper small enough to fit bottle opening. Secure edge with tape.
5) Place index card on bottle opening.
6) Fill funnel with 5 or 6 Mentos and stack on index card to line up with bottle opening.
7) Carefully slide card out to let Mentos fall into bottle and RUN!
8) Watch the geyser spray. How high did it go? How long did it last?
Test other carbonated beverages to compare with your Coke results. Did any work better? Redo the Coke test but use more Mentos. Did the geyser shoot higher? Last longer? What explains this chemical reaction?
SCHOOL SUBJECT: Chemistry
SKILL LEVEL: High School
Add MAGICAL MOUSE SCHOOLHOUSE to your home library!